2016 Zipp 303 Firecrest Tubular Wheelset
If perfection is the standard, then the 303 Firecrest wheelset delivers everything you could ask for, including a heritage forged – and still thriving – in the world’s toughest races. At the center of the 303 Firecrest Tubular is the 77/177 hubset, an innovation that results in improved stiffness, durability, simplicity and versatility.
Zipp’s original 303 made history by becoming the first carbon wheelset to win cycling’s two most famous Cobbled Classics, Paris-Roubaix and the Tour of Flanders. The 303’s wider rim provided extra durability, and improved aerodynamics. That wider rim also led to the development of our revolutionary Firecrest® technology. The 303 Firecrest is a go-to wheelset for the pros of Team Katusha, Boels-Dolmans, AG2R LA MONDIALE, Axeon Cycling and others.
Now the cycle of innovation continues with the inclusion of the 77/177 hubset – best-in-class durability and improved bearing protection with no pre-load adjustment needed.
- Optimized flange geometry and spoke hole attachment pattern with Sapim® CX Sprint spokes to optimize torsional and lateral stiffness and robustness.
- Includes newly designed quick-release skewers with a wider more ergonomic handle to provide more leverage for opening and closing. When closed, lever contours neatly with the frame.
- New robust hub platform with distinctive graphics.
- For those looking for a wider gear range, or tackling especially extreme terrain, an XDR driver body for 177 is sold separately and easily installed to allow for more cassette options including a 10-42. The hubset is designed to swap driver bodies without re-dishing the wheel.
The Firecrest shaping optimizes the aerodynamic profile of both the front half and the back half of the wheel. In addition, Firecrest moves the center of pressure of the wheel backwards, giving the 45mm-deep rim the crosswind stability a box-section rim. And because the 303 Firecrest’s 26.45mm-wide brake track (at center) has been optimized for wider tires, the ride quality is better than ever.
The new wheels retain all the small details that make Zipp wheels what they are. Exposed spoke nipples sit in the aerodynamic shadow of the rims, keeping serviceability simple without compromising speed.
Each 303 Firecrest Tubular wheel comes with Tangente Platinum Pro Evo brake pads, Zipp Integrated Valve Extender with valve-core wrench, and quick release.
The rear 303 Firecrest may present some fitment issues for a small number of road and triathlon frames. The clearance between the chainstay and the rim may not be adequate to avoid contact between each other when ridden under load.
We urge customers who plan on riding the 303 Firecrest to test the wheel within the frame in which they intend to ride, under normal riding and road conditions, before purchasing. Clearance within individual frames of the same size, from the same manufacturer, may vary. That is why it is imperative that you test the wheel in your frame, or in the frame that you are considering purchasing.
Customers who run into this fitment issue may select any other spoked wheel within the Zipp lineup as an alternative, including the 404 Firecrest with its narrower aero-width profile.
Below is a list of known frames that may present this issue. This list will be updated if this fitment issue is discovered elsewhere.
- 2012 Specialized Tarmac SL4
- Specialized S-Works McLaren Venge